Ahh… the classic elevator pitch. It can also be described as the succinct and persuasive sales pitch. The concept is that if you have three minutes or less in an elevator with a major executive and you wanted to pitch your idea to them, could you do it quickly and well enough in that time frame for them to go for your idea?
So here you are, in this elevator, and you are trying to elevate your brand to sell it to a major executive or VC. This is a potential life-changing event for you and your brand thus you have to make sure your pitch is perfect. Here’s how:
- Time is essential – 3 minutes is actually a stretch in elevator pitch time. Think of your pitch as a 60 second time slot that has to sound perfect.
- Clear and Concise – What does this mean? Make sure you have a cohesive and clear pitch that is easy to follow and easy to understand. You don’t want to be jumbled and you don’t want to be confusing. You want to make sure that what you’re saying is comprehendible to an average person because confusion loses anyone.
- Necessity – Raise the idea of necessity, how your idea or business is not only a necessity to everyone, but to the person you wish to sell this to. This big idea is money or awareness.
- Confidence – Make sure to be confident in yourself and your business or idea. If you aren’t confident, then it might not seem important to you or the person you’re speaking to.
- Practice – Practice your pitch. Write it down, formulate your ideas, and practice it in the mirror. Use a watch, note cards, and a mirror. Maybe even film yourself. Practice makes perfect. By the time you feel confident enough to say it without all your practice tools, you’re ready to move onto the big leagues. Even practice with friends or people on the street. You never know when you’re pitching your business to the right person.
The idea of an elevator pitch can be scary at first, but with the right tools and a little bit of practice you can be on your way and elevating your brand in no time!
Have any marketing questions or need help having your brand elevated? Contact us here.
Image via (BOSSFIGHT)